Hawaii Pacific University HLC Maintenance Technician in Honolulu, Hawaii
Maintenance Technician will report to the Facilities Coordinator. Responsible for routine and preventive maintenance, and repair of physical plant and campus machines, tools, and equipment. Assists in repairing ventilation and exhaust systems, maintains selected equipment in central plant and utilities rooms. Performs preventative maintenance, replaces air/water filters, and lubricates machinery. Requires a flexible schedule that includes occasional early arrival, working evenings occasionally as well as Saturday shift coverage.
- Must have at least three years related facilities maintenance experience and /or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have High School diploma
Must have current Hawaii driver's license. Desired Qualifications:
Associate's degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year College or technical school; or five years related maintenance experience and /or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience in at least three (3) of the following maintenance areas: Mechanical systems repair, electrical systems repair, locksmithing, carpentry, painting, glazing, acoustical tile repair, air conditioning maintenance and troubleshooting, plumbing or irrigation systems maintenance and repair.
- Experience in maintaining machinery, automotive, and mechanical equipment in accordance with diagrams, sketches, operating manuals, manufacturers' specifications, or supervisor s instructions.
- Experience in the maintenance, repair and minor construction for educational and/or commercial facilities.
- Experience in use and maintenance of hand and power tools, as well as precision measuring or testing devices.
- Certificate of Completion of the 30-Hour OSHA Training Course for the Construction Industry (OSHA 30 Hour) within the last five years, or successfully passing the course in the first 90 days of employment.
- Demonstrated experience in supervision and coordination of the efforts of facilities contractors. Willingness to supervise subordinate temporary labor or student workers. Experience in coordination with both custodial and landscape contractors.
Good interpersonal and communication skills; strong organization skills with strong attention to detail; handle multiple tasks and projects, good judgment; able to work independently. Other Qualifications:
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work assignments.
- Report to work obligations to support the department year-round. Facilities does not and may require work during HPU's winter break, if necessary.
- Able to work all shifts and extended hours, if necessary.
- Upon hire, candidate must have reliable personal transportation to facilitate travel between to all HPU worksites and other locations as required by the position. This includes a valid driver's license and a personal vehicle that is legally registered and insured. [as applicable]
- This position may also require driving responsibility for an HPU vehicle.
- Due to driving responsibilities, you must meet training and background check qualifications for all type of HPU vehicles, including Mercedes Benz vans, and comply with HPU's Vehicle Driving policy.
- Successful candidate will be able to work in an environment that utilize excellent time and stress management skills. Key Responsibilities/Essential Job Functions:
1.*Maintenance & Repair Responsibilities (75%)*
- Provides execution of the maintenance, repair, and in-house facilities efforts for the HPU Hawaii Loa campus.
- Assists in routine and preventive maintenance in conjunction with outside vendors and engineers and maintenance staff.
This position will operate equipment, (i.e. golf cart, university vehicle, forklift) which will require safety protocols to ensure the operator and others stay protected from any injury. 2.*Administrative and Support Responsibilities (10%)*
Reviews job and/or input work orders into the online work order system. Schedules repair, maintenance, and installation of machines, tools and equipment to ensure proper operation.
- Identifies low levels in department inventory; maintains inventory including proper storage and knowledge of use of supplies, materials, tools and equipment.
Assists in compliance with Hazard Communication Program, including Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), labeling, storing and handling of materials, etc. 3.*Other Duties as Assigned (15%)*
Accomplishes with little supervision a variety of on-site facilities projects, repairs, Performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Emergencies, or other activities as required of the position.
This description is not designed to list all activities, duties or responsibilities which may be required for this job. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned at any time.
Hawai'i Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable environment in which faculty and staff can excel irrespective of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or any other protected class covered by state and federal law. Hawai'i Pacific University encourages applications from veterans and individuals with disabilities. A pre-employment background investigation is performed on candidates selected for employment.
Job Title: HLC Maintenance Technician
Closing Date/Time: Thu. 04/26/18 11:59 PM Hawaii Time
Job Type: Staff - Grant Funded Full Time Non Exempt (OI)
Location: Hawaii Loa Campus, Hawaii