The Salvation Army Custodian in Honolulu, Hawaii
THE SALVATION ARMY HAWAIIN& PACIFIC ISLANDS DIVISION
JOB DESCRIPTION CUSTODIAN
DEPARTMENT: Kauluwela Mission Corps SUPERVISOR: Corps Officer/Administrator POSITION TITLE: Custodian
STATUS: Part-time 19 hours per week
A shift between the hours of 6:30 am to 9:30pm (may vary week to week) More than 20 hours per week pending Supervisor approval
GENERAL STATEMENT: The Salvation Army is a branch of the Christian Church, and the ultimate goal of all programs is a spiritual regeneration of all people. Each employee will be seen as representing The Salvation Army and therefore represent the mission we
exist to accomplish. Standard of conduct will be expected to fall into line with our mission.
MISSION STATEMENT: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by love for God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and
meet human needs in his name without discrimination.
The Custodian will clean all areas of the Corps Community building both inside and outside making sure it is a presentable, clean and a safe environment for the operations of the ministry and Corps programs.
• Knowledgeable of and experience in grounds keeping and janitorial techniques; and, knowledge and skill in the operation of grounds keeping equipment and tools (such as lawn mower, chain saw, power trimmers, line trimmers, leaf blowers).
• Knowledgeable of cleaning with tools and chemicals and their safe use
• 1 year experience in custodial or similar work
• Able to follow directions, instructions, and schedules.
• Able to work with a team of employees and volunteers
• Has knowledge of generally accepted safety measures in the operation of equipment and tools.
• Has knowledge and experience in sanitation practices and housekeeping skills.
• Has the ability to read, write and communicate in English.
• Has planning skills that ensure the regular and continuing upkeep of grounds and repairs.
• Is able to lift up to 50 pounds.
• Maintains acceptable attendance records and punctuality.
• Has current physical exam and a current TB clearance; and, be in good physical and mental health condition.
• Has current Criminal History clearance from both the FBI and Hawaii Criminal History check.
• Has current Hawaii State Driver’s License; and, meet TSA’s requirements to drive TSA vehicles including the successful completion of TSA’s Driver Safety Program.
• Clean and sweep ALL entrances, stairwells, and parking lot areas in the program courtyard to prepare a safe environment for employees, visitors, and customers arriving to the Corps building. Remove all trash, cans, bottles, and other. Practice infection control
procedures and safety precautions when cleaning designated areas. There may be occasions when you may be exposed to drug paraphernalia and human fecal matter. This task should be done each morning starting the earliest at 6:15am and ending before 9:30am.
• Prepare and clean rooms for meetings, meals, and programming
• Vacuum all carpet areas before and after each activity in all rooms with carpet
• Wash sinks, urinals, toilets, showers, and floors in all bathrooms
• Stock bathrooms with hand soap, hand towels, toilet paper, and toilet seat covers.
• Clean tables, counter tops, chairs, and floor in all rooms.
• Sweep and mop all tile floors
• Wash walls and doors paying special attention to handles and walls where the switches are.
• Keep inventory of all cleaning supplies and paper products.
• Dust and clean fans, window ceils mirrors.
• Occasional cleaning at other properties or special events of The Salvation Army.
Perform other duties as assigned.
• Work under stressful conditions
• Interact with others with courtesy and tact
• Manage and prioritize multiple projects in an organized and efficient manner to meet tight deadlines
• Respond to crisis situations in a calm and effective manner
• Complete projects on schedule
• Maintain Confidentiality
• Maintain regular and punctual work attendance.
• The position requires sitting, climbing and/or balancing, stooping, kneeling, bending, stretching, crouching and/or crawling; standing; walking; manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; use of vision; driving a vehicle; pulling/pushing/lifting/carrying
25-50 pounds and occasionally more than 50 pounds.
The position requires talking to co-workers, clients, vendors; requires written communication to and from co- workers, clients, vendors, talking on telephones and requires responding to written or verbal requests of co-workers, clients and vendors. Requires
training/giving verbal and written instructions; requires receiving verbal and written instructions; requires writing/composing written language; requires reading; requires visiting/networking at other worksites; requires communication via the latest technologies.
• High school diploma
• Valid Hawaii driver’s license – not needed
• Essential Equipment (Weed Eaters, Leaf Blower, Vacuum Cleaner, Electric Hedger, Other common and accepted type of equipment as needed)
• Essential Tools (Hoes, Spades, rakes, shovels, and wheel barrels, Hammers, Screwdrivers, Dolly, Glass Cutter for louver windows, Tools needed to change ballasts and light bulbs and other like basic grounds keeping, janitorial and maintenance tools)
• Safety Requirements When Operating Equipment
Shall wear a “Lift Guard” when lifting (Issued)
Shall wear safety glasses when operating weed eater; electric hedger; other equipment requiring such.
Shall wear protective gloves and adequate protective clothing when operating equipment.
Shall have another person in attendance when climbing ladders that exceed 6 feet in length. Results: Maximum Safety Measures and Precautions are practiced, ensuring personal safety at all times.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK ENVIROMENT:
Work will be both outdoor and indoors at the Kauluwela Corps.
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory, or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees
assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
I have read, understand, and agree to the Job Description. (Print Name)
(Administrator Signature) (Date)
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41